Finance & Admin All-Rounder
20 – 30k GBP
Four Day Weeks
Job Title: Finance and Admin All-Rounder, Poppy’s
At Poppy’s, we believe that funerals have the potential to be life and grief-changing experiences. With an open and honest approach, we encourage, reassure, guide and support families to have the funeral that they want - whatever that means to them.
We're growing really quickly, and we know we’re onto something great with our approach. (In fact, we’ve had this confirmed by lots of awards!). We’re now looking for our first Finance and Admin Assistant, AAT qualified, to provide the daily financial administrative rigour and support we need to take our ambitious growth to the next level. We really want a driven bright spark who is a great culture fit with the Poppy’s team, and who wants to grow fast with the company.
You’ll spend your time with us:
• Providing the financial administrative support necessary for our operations to runsmoothly and efficiently (further details below)
• Producing monthly management accounts, and other financial and operational reports to support the strategic decisions of the team
• Ensuring financial controls are in place and monitored
• Gaining skills from our accountant to increase responsibilities over time
• Maintaining and developing Poppy’s impressive reputation with clients, stakeholders and within the team
• To upload invoices/costs to automated book-keeping system for approval
• To ensure appropriate coding and allocation of invoices
• To review and process bank feed connected to accounting system, ensuring all receipts/payments are allocated, and queries are raised/resolved promptly
• Monthly bank reconciliations
• Monthly review of balance sheet and control accounts, to ensure balances show a true reflection of the business
• To prepare monthly payroll information, including overtime, reviewing timesheets and submitting to external payroll providers
• To post monthly payroll journal on to accounting system and submission of PAYE/NIC payments to HMRC
• To create all new clients on our accounting software, prepare sales invoicing and process client refunds/overbill amounts
• To manage and maintain petty cash
• To liaise regularly with external accountant to assist company’s Year End
• To produce regular reports to give the team the granularity of information they need to make important strategic decisions
• To prepare monthly management information packs, including management account analysis
• To prepare annual budgets
• To provide general administrative support to the rest of the team to ensure the smooth running of office, including organising internal meetings and minutes
• To answer the phone and deal with general correspondence and queries with warmth, professionalism and attention to detail
• To order supplies and to liaise with some suppliers and third parties
• To oversee the beautiful presentation of the office and client spaces
• To ensure Poppy’s values and culture run through the core of all we do, and to act as a brand ambassador, role modelling the promotion and embodiment of our values within the team
• To engage in Poppy’s strategy and implementation in line with values, goals and mission
• To take responsibility for your own self-care and to engage with the company’s resources available to support you (e.g. line management, reflection and support sessions, EAP etc.)
We’re looking for someone who’s great at:
• Proactively managing, planning ahead and identifying issues early
• Communicating effectively, confidently and positively and able to gain the team’s trust and co operation
• Operating effectively in a collaborative team whilst also confident working autonomously
• Challenging others, offering opinions and taking feedback on board
• Using data to influence and drive improved performance
• Asking for support when necessary
We’ll also need you to be:
• AAT qualified
• A brilliant culture fit with Poppy’s
The finer details:
• Team: we’re a team of eleven (with plans to grow to fourteen in 2019)
• Reporting: you’ll report to our Head of Operations, Isabel
• Our core hours are 9am-5pm Monday to Friday, but we do encourage a flexible working approach and want to accommodate your needs and best working patterns wherever possible – so if your ideal hours don’t fall in line with this, please do let us know and we’ll see what we can do!
• On a similar note, we’d consider discussing a four-day working week and/or flexible working for the right person.
Crucially, we expect everyone on the team to be able and willing to develop a sound understanding of the gentle, thoughtful, natural way we care for the dead people in our mortuary. We have no expectations of prior experience of this work.
What you’ll get:
- Holidays: 32 days (including BHs)
- To be part of a warm, autonomous, impressive team, passionate about their work
- Support from our accountant to get settled into the role and learn about our finance systems and processes
We will be holding interviews April 23rd - 26th and have shortlisted candidates spend an hour with us behind the scenes for you to see in closer detail what we do and how it all works – and for us to get to know each other a little better.
We’re looking to have the successful candidate join us soon after!
To apply for this role please send us your CV and cover letter telling Poppy's what makes you perfect for the role via the apply button below.