10 – 20k GBP
Flexi Time Job
Field Studies Council
Administrator with FSC Nettlecombe Court, Taunton, Somerset
Imagine a role that offers you both unique opportunities and challenges; where you are an important part of an empowered team who strive to create a truly memorable experience for every individual who visits our FSC Locations and where you have the chance to demonstrate your passion to deliver the highest standards of customer service and care. No matter what role you perform at the FSC, everyone can make a difference... if you want to join our successful Environmental Education Charity and you have what it takes to make a difference then we want to hear from you.
Job Title: Administrator
FSC Grade: Team Member
Based at: FSC Nettlecombe Court
Reports to: Regional Administration and Customer Services Manager
There is no line management responsibility associated with this post
Overall Job Purpose:
To undertake and deliver the highest level of all administrative duties; ensuring a proactive and professional administrative support service is delivered to both external customers and internal colleagues and teams. As the first point of contact for customers telephoning and emailing the learning location it is imperative that the post holder delivers the highest level of customer service and care at all times.
Although primarily office based, this is essentially a pro-active role which will require moderate physical effort, i.e. moving office files and intensive periods of time spent working on computer systems.
- Provision of administrative support for the smooth running of the learning location
- Handling enquiries, taking and processing course bookings, maintaining and updating the bookings database
- Assisting the Regional Administration and Customer Services Manager to streamline operating practices, recordkeeping systems and forms, and helping to implement changes as required
- Keeping accurate records of booking details and proficiently handling subsequent booking correspondence
- Maintaining and updating other records, spreadsheets and databases relating to all aspects of the learning location’s work
- Assisting with promoting the work of the learning location and its programmes to potential customers, stakeholders and partners
- Being the first point of contact for customers by telephone and on arrival at the Learning Location, in conjunction with other office staff
- Undertaking duties associated with petty cash handling, financial systems and record keeping
- Participating in the processing and distribution of mail (internal and external)
- Assisting with customer liaison to ensure that payments are made within agreed timescales
- Ensuring all telephone calls and emails coming into the learning location are handled in a professional and timely manner, and that any enquiries that cannot be dealt with are passed to a senior colleague as appropriate
- To manage our Individual and Family course bookings including liaising with tutors, managing the website and taking bookings
- Assisting with the further development of cloud based office systems
- Dealing with lost property
- Taking minutes of weekly staff meetings and other learning location meetings, as necessary
- Undertaking other routine administrative tasks, e.g. filing, in a timely manner
- Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge and understanding of all areas of the learning location’s work in order to respond knowledgeably to enquiries from the public or members of learning location staff
- Following accurately the administrative procedures and systems and making recommendations as appropriate
- Complying with all relevant legislation / FSC Operating Codes of Practice (OCoPs) / FSC Health and Safety Handbook and FSC procedures
- Taking an active role in the learning location’s evening duty system – this may involve staying on site on some evenings to deal with customer issues and respond to emergencies.
- Delivering a high standard of customer service and customer care
- Ensuring the highest standards of quality are achieved in all duties carried out
- Working closely with other staff to ensure that appropriate levels of service are maintained during absences and periods of high workload
- Maintaining professional standards at all times in accordance with FSC policies
- Fulfilling your obligations under FSC’s Behaviour Partnership to ensure a happy, productive working environment
- Attending staff meetings as well as FSC internal and external training as required, in order to share best practice and improve team and learning location performance, and participating fully in staff development activities (sometimes this may involve travel to other learning locations with the occasional overnight stay)
- Driving: Due to the remote nature of the Learning Location it would be advantageous if the post holder were able to drive. To drive FSC vehicles you will need to be 21 years or over, have a full valid driving licence, to have been driving for at least two years, and undertake an internal assessment on commencement in the role.
- Subject to meeting certain criteria, you may also be required to drive our minibuses. If you do not hold D1 entitlement and have the appropriate driving experience/certification, you may be required to undertake the relevant training upon commencement of the role
- Undertaking any other duties that may reasonably be required to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the learning location
The expectations of every employee that we regard as essential include:
- A positive and passionate work attitude
- A desire to show pride in all aspects of their work
- A flexible approach with a willingness to adapt to changes
- An ability to work using your own initiative both independently and as a competent, effective team member
- An ability to work under pressure and prioritise work to meet tight deadlines
- Always treating others with courtesy, dignity and respect
- A commitment and contribution to improving FSC’s environmental performance
- A committed and proactive approach to personal development; motivated to learn new skills and overcome new challenges
This job description should be seen as enabling rather than restrictive, and will be subject to regular review.
1. QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent, to include English & Maths, or appropriate vocational experience
- Experience working in an Administrative role
- Experience of interacting with customers, especially by telephone and email
- Experience of taking accurate notes of meetings
- Experience of working with cloud based administration systems
- Experience of using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems
- Minimum of NVQ Level 2 in Business Administration or equivalent
- ICT Qualification
- Full valid Driving Licence
- Full D1 entitlement with minibus driving experience / certification
- First aid qualification
- Proficient in the use of standard office software and technology e.g. word processing, databases, spreadsheets and outlook
- Excellent administrative skills
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail in all aspects of work
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Professional and articulate telephone manner
- Highly organised with the ability to focus and stay on task in a busy office environment or when working alone
SUMMARY OF MAIN TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Term: This is a permanent position.
Remuneration: FSC Grade: Team Member
FSC Salary Grade: Scale Points 7 - 10, actual pro-rata salary is £14,496 - £15,384 per annum
The point of entry within the salary grade will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. Further incremental progression within the grade will be subject to meeting required standards and satisfactory individual performance reviews.
The salary is paid monthly in arrears by BACS transfer. The salary scale is reviewed annually.
Workwear is provided by the FSC.
Hours of work: The post is based on a notional average of 32 hours per week. The weekly hours are based on a flexible shift pattern, this will fluctuate throughout the year according to business needs. This means that the post holder may be required to work additional hours per week during busy periods and considerably less in other weeks to compensate. Evening, weekend and Bank Holiday working will be required. The post holder will be required to undertake evening and residential duties. The working pattern can be discussed with you at the interview.
For the right candidate a term-time only position (with different hours of work and pro-rata salary) may be considered: this possibility can be discussed further at interview.
Annual & Bank Holidays:
The holiday year runs from 1 January to 31 December each year. You will accrue an entitlement to paid annual holidays equivalent to 5.6 working weeks during a complete holiday year. This entitlement includes the Public/Bank holidays or substitute days (as defined in FSC’s Employee Handbook) when they fall on a contractual or scheduled day of work. Part time workers will receive a pro-rata of the entitlement. For anyone who joins part way through the year they will receive a pro-rata entitlement of the 28 days.
In addition to the above, we recognise and reward staff loyalty by awarding additional paid leave days, based on length of service, up to a maximum cumulative total of 5 additional days paid leave (pro rata for part time).
The post-holder will be eligible to join one of FSC’s Pension Schemes.
During periods of certified sickness the post-holder will be eligible to receive sick pay in accordance with FSC’s sickness absence procedures. The payment of sick pay is subject to compliance with FSC’s rules for the notification and verification of sickness absence, details of which will be provided to the successful applicant upon commencement of employment.
Additional Employee Benefits:
These include an Employee Assistance Programme, Life Assurance* and Health Cash Plan with Westfield Health* (*exclusions apply). Further details are given on appointment, as applicable, or are available by contacting Human Resources at FSC Head Office on 01743 852119.
This post has a six month probationary period, during which your suitability for the post will be assessed. Post Classification / Criminal Records Check Requirements:
This post has been classified as Category A (as defined in the FSC Code of Conduct) which means it is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (as amended in 2013). Applicants will therefore be required to disclose any convictions, cautions, reprimands or final warnings which are NOT protected as defined under the Act, and the successful candidate will also be required to undertake an Enhanced plus Children’s barred list check with the Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS)
FSC Nettlecombe Court
Nettlecombe Court is one of the FSC’s leading residential field centres and is approximately 3 miles from Williton. Situated on the edge of the Exmoor National Park, Nettlecombe Court has developed a deserved reputation for the delivery of high quality field courses in geography and biology. We have a strong commitment to working with local partners, including Exmoor National Park, Somerset Wildlife Trust and local schools, and, as an EcoCentre we strive to improve our environmental performance in our working environment.
The closing date for receipt of your completed application is 12 noon on Wednesday 27th November 2019
Interviews are scheduled to take place at FSC Nettlecombe Court in the week commencing 2nd December 2019
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by telephone or email.
How to apply:
For all recruitment information and relevant application forms please go to our vacancies web page at:
To apply for this position please download and complete in full the Application Form form here
You must ensure that your application includes examples of how you have demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in meeting the requirements of the post detailed in both the job description and person specification.
Send your completed application form to:
Please note we do not accept CV’s without a completed application form