20 – 30k GBP
Four Day Weeks
BACK-END DEVELOPER (4 DAYS PER WEEK)
Widely acknowledged for its pioneering approach to the role of an orchestra in the 21st century, the Philharmonia leads the field for the quality of its playing and its innovative work with residencies, music education, audience development and the use of new technology to reach a global audience. Together with its relationships with the world’s most sought-after artists, most importantly its Principal Conductor and Artistic Advisor Esa-Pekka Salonen, the Philharmonia is at the heart of British musical life.
The Philharmonia Orchestra’s in-house Digital team, working closely with all departments in the organisation, has been creating cutting-edge, award-winning work for more than a decade, from its web, video and audio content to iPad app The Orchestra, through to large-scale digital installations RE- RITE, Universe of Sound and MusicLab, which have toured the world. More recently, the Orchestra moved into Virtual Reality in early 2015, and has created three VR experiences to date, which have toured internationally.
The Digital Department also leads on maintaining and developing our Web App,MOBI. MOBI is an arts business interface designed, developed in-house to centralize all administrative, scheduling and personnel tasks. It was created to offer unique tools to the orchestra that were not available through other systems on the market at the time.
First released in 2010, the MOBI application has undergone various small and medium scale additions designed to adapt to the changing business requirements of the Philharmonia Orchestra and we are continuously improving this application with an eye on a potential rebuild in the near future.
The Philharmonia Orchestra is also currently in the process of selecting external agencies to help us deliver a brand refresh and new website to replace our current site which has been developed in house.
The successful applicant will play a role in maintaining our current site and CMS in the transition period before working closely with our chosen agency in delivering the new site and ensuring a smooth transition.
At an exciting and transformational time for the Digital department and the organisation as a whole, we are currently looking for a back-end developer to join the team and take on the responsibilities listed below.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• To manage, maintain and lead on the development of the Philharmonia Orchestra’s online business management system MOBI.
• To manage the Orchestra’s current website and bespoke content management system, liaising with external agency staff when required until the new website is in place.
• To play a key role on the new website project delivery team, working with an external web agency.
• In collaboration with the CRM, Data and Insights Working Group, to maintain the online integration of the Tessitura Box office.
• To act as the first point of contact for all technical and operational matters relating to the Orchestra’s websites, in liaison with the company’s IT provider and with external web providers ensuring data is backed-up to a reasonable standard.
• To keep updated documents detailing the technical information relating to the Philharmonia Orchestra CMS, MOBI and other websites including detailed commenting of code.
• To ensure all Philharmonia Orchestra websites including MOBI are fully compliant with all current and future data protection standards including GDPR.
• To undertake such other duties as may reasonably be required by the Company.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Knowledge of and demonstrable experience in the following technologies:
• An understanding of MVC principles, ideally with experience working with an MVC framework.
• Experience working with CRM ticketing software.
• Experience working with relational databases.
• Excellent communication skills – both technical and non-technical.
• Ability to manage a diverse and unpredictable workload.
• 2+ years’ experience in Web Development (academic or professional).
• Experience working with APIs
• Experience with an ecommerce website.
• Experience using Google Analytics.
• Understanding of WCAG and W3C standards.
• An interest in and understanding of orchestral music.
• Experience with Tessitura.
• Familiarity or experience with Agile software development methodologies
• Salary: Circa £30,000 per annum (equivalent to £37,500 per annum pro rata for a full-time position) depending upon experience.
• Hours: 9.30 – 17.30; 28 hours per week; exact days to be discussed and agreed with successful applicant; occasional evening and weekend work will be required (for which time off in lieu will be available).
• Annual Leave: 26.5 days per annum (equivalent to 33 days per annum pro rata for a full-time position), inclusive of public and Bank holidays.
• Pension: the Company has a pension scheme into which you will automatically be enrolled (subject to the provisions of auto-enrolment legislation) upon completion of a 3-month qualifying period, and into which the Company will pay 6% of salary.
Please also complete our Equality and Diversity questionnaire and return it with your application. The questionnaire can be found on Philharmonia website:
Please include details of two referees in your application, stating at what point in the recruitment process each of them may be contacted (we will not contact your referees without your permission).
The Philharmonia Orchestra is committed to equal opportunities. We are working to achieve diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
First-round interviews will be held on the 17th, 18th or 19th April.
To apply for this role please send your CV and covering letter via the apply button below.