Business Development Manager
Four Day Weeks
City of Trees
Can you identify and unlock opportunities to achieve results?
Are you up to the challenge of driving forward the City of Trees movement to create a greener and more resilient Greater Manchester?
We are looking for a dynamic individual who can advocate the need for trees and woods across the urban landscape and make the case for successful investment in Greater Manchester as part of the Northern Forest.
City of Trees is an innovative and exciting movement set to transform the landscape of Greater Manchester by planting a tree for every person who lives here, bringing community woodland back into management and developing a woodland culture.
Post: Business Development Manager
Salary: £34,788 p.a.
Reports to: Jessica Thompson, Director City of Trees
Responsible for: Creating business opportunities, securing resources and investment from a diverse range of partners and funders, to help deliver City of Trees and Northern Forest vision and objectives
Hours: Full time 5 days/week, 36hrs (would consider 4 days/week pro rata FTE)
Deadline: Monday 11th November, 2019
We are looking for an experienced business development professional, preferably with experience of the charitable sector, with a successful track record in identifying business opportunities and securing resources.
We want someone with excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills, business acumen and experience of securing significant funding through partnerships, grants, trusts and the private sector.
Purpose of the job
The primary focus of the role is to develop opportunities and funding streams to help realise our ambitious plans for the City of Trees movement, which is the Greater Manchester part of the Northern Forest. The postholder will be responsible for representing City of Trees externally, liaising with existing stakeholders/partners and creating new contacts, leads and partnerships to help deliver the business aims and objectives. The postholder will be a senior member of the Business Development function of the organisation, working alongside the Director and Senior Management Team to ensure effective delivery of business objectives and help to drive and grow the City of Trees movement.
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Develop and implement high quality business development strategies for key areas of work within the overall business strategy.
- Work alongside our Resilience Lead and Operations Manager to seek tree planting opportunities deriving from resilience-based drivers (such as climate change, water management, air quality) and play a supporting role to both posts in the development of our technical work.
- Work alongside the Director to develop our work on Health & Wellbeing, forging key relationships within the Health sector in support of the Green Health agenda. Seek and develop opportunities to expand our Citizen Forester (volunteer) programme and embed this work at a strategic level to maximise engagement and pathways, including social prescribing.
- Work to diversify City of Trees income. Secure resources from a diverse range of funding, including national and international grants, commissions and investment from the private sector. Support the development of newly emerging financial mechanisms for green infrastructure. To continue income generation to achieve the City of Trees aims as well as sustain the organisation.
- Represent City of Trees externally, liaising and negotiating with strategic partners, clients and investors. This will involve nurturing existing partnerships as well as identifying and developing new partnerships and relationships.
- Represent the Northern Forest as part of the strategic Community Forestry agenda, ensuring that opportunities and resources are maximised effectively with the Northern Forest partnership.
- Play a lead role in planning and performance through our key stakeholder and advisory groups.
- Represent City of Trees and raise the profile of the organisation externally by giving presentations, pitching to prospective clients. Organising and delivering events to appropriate audience groups.
- Be a strong advocate for the urban forest, disseminating the key messages and aims in relation to City of Trees in all methods of communication, including presentations and other outward facing communications.
- Take on the eventual line management responsibility for the Development Team (3 posts), overseeing the coordination and progress of project development funding (after 6 months in post).
- Work closely with Marketing & Communications and Corporate Fundraising personnel to raise the stakes and drive forward the City of Trees movement to new and existing audiences, growing our supporter network.
- Contribute to the development and coordination of efficient systems to support project management, finance and administration to ensure the smooth running of the organisation.
- To undertake informal and formal training as agreed
- Carry out duties with full regard to Equal Opportunities and Health and Safety policies.
- Undertake any other duties which may reasonably be requested and to work in a flexible manner.
- Working at a strategic level to influence positive outcomes to meet core business aims.
- Working in partnership to achieve common aims and objectives
- Successful track record in unlocking opportunities and resources at a strategic level
- Experience of creating new relationships with corporate partners
- Nurturing key client and/or funder relationships
- Track record of successful funding applications
- Experience of public speaking in meetings, events
- Line Management experience
- Experience of working in either the environment or health or charity sector
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of the funding landscape in relation to grants, trusts, national and international funding sources
- Business acumen, ability to use financial reporting systems
- Understand the complexities of using multiple funding streams for programmes of work
- Knowledge or appreciation of the multiple benefits of trees, natural capital and ecosystem services
- Excellent communication skills: written, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Professional and approachable
- Good influencing and negotiation skills
- Ability to work as, and value being, part of a team
- Willing to manage a diverse and busy workload
- Ability to think innovatively to help overcome barriers and make best use of opportunities arising
This post is employed through Community Forest Trust, the charity that underpins the City of Trees movement.
To apply please follow this link Download and complete the application form and submit it to by the deadline Monday 11th November.
CVs will not be accepted.