10 – 20k GBP
Four Day Weeks
Home-Start is committed to safer recruitment practice as an important part of safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults.
Job Description - Home-Start Co-ordinator
Employer: Home-Start Guildford, Astolat, Coniers Way, Burpham, Guildford GU4 7HL
Hours of work: Part-time 30 hours/week (some flexibility)
Salary: £23,000 fte (actual £18,649 for 30hrs)
Location: Burpham (as above)
Responsible to: Home-Start Scheme Manager
Home-Start Guildford seeks an experienced, self-motivated person to work with vulnerable families and deliver training and support to volunteers. The role will involve visiting families and supervising volunteers to deliver support in the family home, working together with the manager and small, friendly staff team.
Home-Start is a leading family support charity, committed to promoting the welfare of young families with at least one child under the age of 5. Volunteers with parenting experience offer regular support to families in their own homes, helping to prevent family crisis and breakdown.
The ideal candidate will have:
· A good understanding of the needs of children and families.
· Experience of working directly with vulnerable families.
· Experience of delivering training and support to volunteers.
· Knowledge of the role of agencies providing services and support for children and families.
· Knowledge of child protection and safeguarding issues.
· Good IT skills and ability to work on their own initiative.
· Car driver and use of car essential (expenses will be paid)
Purposes of the job
• To provide and maintain high standards of practice in supporting vulnerable families within the Home Start ethos, and to implement good safeguarding practice at all times.
• To contribute to the effective day to day operation of the scheme in accordance with the Home-Start Governing documents, Standards and Methods of Practice, Home-Start Agreement and Quality Assurance Standards.
• To ensure inclusion and diversity in all aspects of the scheme’s operation and work.
Support for families
• Receiving referrals and visiting families at home to assess the family situation, understand the needs of the family, and offer support.
• Introducing families to appropriate volunteer support.
• Ensuring families progress is reviewed at regular intervals and feedback gathered at the end of Home-Start support.
• To undertake responsibilities for safeguarding and promoting children’s welfare, including attending team around the family meetings and child protection conferences.
• To keep clear records on the family’s manual file and the database (Charity Log) of all contact, reviews and support to families.
• Recruiting, selecting and preparing (training) volunteers, with the Senior Co-ordinator and Scheme Manager.
• Matching and introducing volunteers to families.
• Providing support, supervision and on-going training opportunities for volunteers.
• To keep clear records on the volunteer’s manual file and the database of contact, support and review meetings with volunteers.
Working in Partnership
• Liaising with referrers (health visitors, social workers, schools, children centres etc).
• Contribute appropriately and write reports for multi-professional meetings e.g. 'team around the family' meetings or Child Protection conference review meetings.
• Networking appropriately within the community.
Supporting the work of the scheme
• Working co-operatively with the Scheme Manager and staff team to ensure the strategic management, development and future funding of the scheme; and to promote the work of Home-Start.
• Supporting the implementation and review of all Home-Start policies and procedures.
Managing the Wider Context
• Promoting the scheme, its profile, ethos and practice, in conjunction with the trustees.
• Contributing to the development of Home-Start locally, regionally and nationally.
The post holder may be required to undertake any other duties that fall within the nature of the role and responsibilities of the post detailed above.
All candidates invited for interview will be asked to complete an application form. Appointment is subject to satisfactory references, and a DBS check at enhanced level will be required.
To request the person specification document please email Home-Start Guildford via the apply button below.
To apply for this role please email your CV with a short covering note demonstrating how your experience and skills meet the requirements of the job description and person specification via the apply button below.