60 – 70k GBP
Four Day Weeks
We are looking for an inspiring and entrepreneurial person with a strong track record of commercial success and new product development, who can help Doteveryone’s products and services reach a wide audience of responsible innovators. You will establish and grow a business unit within Doteveryone, responsible for business development, community growth and account management across our leadership training and consultancy work, and lead the team creating the TechTransformed resources.
The Commercial Director is a new role, leading Doteveryone’s work with technology businesses, charities and social enterprises. The job combines product management with community development and income generation. We are a charity, and our ambition is to increase income from our products and services to contribute towards our core costs, so we can deliver our mission more effectively.
You will have experience of working with teams or organisations that have made well-respected and effective technology products and services, be able to put together and execute a business plan, and have excellent communication skills. You do not need previous experience of creating or running training and development programmes, but client development or account management experience is essential.
You will have the energy and resourcefulness to try things out on a small (or sometimes non-existent) budget, be good at getting things done, and an existing network of contacts within the technology industry. You should be able to talk to business and charity leaders, technologists and investors with credibility, and without falling back on jargon.
Doteveryone is an influencing organisation; our work explores how technology is changing society, shows what responsible technology can look like, and catalyses communities to shape technology to serve people better. Our ambition with this strand of work is to help cultivate and grow the community of responsible innovators and technology practitioners, so that responsible technology can become the new normal.
There will be regular travel within Europe and the US, and one of your first responsibilities will be to develop a strategy for the growth and development of a responsible innovation community in the US (in either New York City or Silicon Valley).
As a member of the senior leadership team, you will work alongside the CEO, Managing Director, Director of Policy and Comms, and the Director of Research and Engagement to direct the strategy of the organisation. You will have experience of managing teams, building strategic partnerships and generating income. You will be able to identify and create new opportunities for impact, and tell the story of our work in a creative and persuasive way.
You should be able to manage and grow a network of expert contributors, including consultants and facilitators, to support and deliver the work, as well as growing the capabilities and potential of your team.
This is initially a fixed term role; extending it depends on the success of the income generation strategy. The successful candidate should expect to raise at least £200,000 in the first nine months. There is an existing pipeline for this work, but the successful candidate will be expected to build and expand it.
We welcome applications from people who want to work a 4 or 5 day week. We are happy to support flexible working patterns, including some working from home, and will consider requests for part-time working and secondments. The role is based in our central London office in Somerset House, and you should expect to spend most of your time based in the office, although there will also be fairly frequent travel to events and meetings. You may also be required to attend occasional conferences and events outside of usual office hours.
- Income generation that can cover the cost of your salary after 6 months and, thereafter, that of your team; in the medium term, this work should also make a significant contribution to Doteveryone core costs
- Grow a portfolio of projects including our programme of leadership training and our consultancy offer, and oversee the take-up of the TechTransformed tools and resources
- Communicate our work and ideas to broad audiences at all levels of the technology industry
- Engage with partners and practitioners, identify new opportunities, deliver work with others, and reach new audiences
- Help to lead the organisation as part of the senior leadership team, managing staff, setting strategy and supporting fundraising.
You should have demonstrable experience of:
- Developing a healthy pipeline by securing, managing and retaining new business
- Financial forecasting and running a budget
- Account management
- Partnership development
And one or more of the following:
- Experience of client development and retention for a consultancy business
- Experience of developing and delivering training offers
- Engaging with specialist audiences to build communities of practice (desirable, this could be formal or informal)
- Getting the best out of multi-disciplinary teams
- Being an effective part of a small team
We are particularly interested to receive applications from people who have:
- Worked in client-facing roles in start-ups or agencies
- Grown or established a client-focussed team or business
- Demonstrable commitment to responsible technology
- Experience of working in a small team and making the most of limited resources
To apply for this job, you do NOT need to:
- Have experience of working in a think tank, or with government policy
- Have experience in the charitable or social sector
- Have done something exactly like this before
Doteveryone is an independent think tank that explores how technology is changing society, shows what responsible technology can look like, and builds communities to improve the way technology shapes our world.
Martha Lane Fox founded Doteveryone following her Dimbleby Lecture in 2015 where she called for a new organisation to help us shape our digital world and navigate the moral and ethical issues it presents. From that vision, we’ve grown into a dedicated London-based team, working to make responsible technology the new normal.
We are a small team that pulls together to achieve more than the sum of our parts. In everything we do, we try to balance boldness and thoughtfulness, critical thinking and entrepreneurialism, bold ambition and practical application. There is a lot of talk about how technology is changing the world; we are interested in action.
We are an inclusive employer. We support flexible working and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
Deadline for applications: 9am on Friday 14th June
First round interviews: Monday 24th June
Second round interviews: Monday 1st July
We offer the following benefits:
- Competitive salary - £60k - £75k depending on experience, plus performance related bonus.
- Contributory NEST pension scheme
- Flexible working patterns
- 25 days holiday per annum, plus discretionary office closures in August and at Christmas
- Cycle voucher scheme, childcare vouchers
- The chance to make change happen within a new and exciting organisation, working in a collaborative, supportive team
We are an equal opportunities employer; we firmly believe that diverse teams create better work and as such we welcome a broad range of perspectives, approaches and background in applicants.
To apply for this role please press the apply button below.