20 – 30k GBP
Four Day Weeks
Kairos Women Working Together
DIRECTOR (MATERNITY COVER)
KairosWWT is seeking a skilled leader with strong fundraising and project management skills to lead a small but ambitious charity making a big difference in the lives of some of Coventry’s most vulnerable women.
Kairos Women Working Together (WWT) believes in the value and dignity of all women. We exist to increase the life chances, choices and wellbeing of women in Coventry affected by, or at risk of, sexual exploitation - including women caught up in prostitution.
To support and collaborate with women, focusing on three areas:
1 Safety: minimising harm for those most at risk
2 Stability: addressing individual needs and barriers (such as housing, healthcare, substance misuse)
3 Self-belief: supporting women to develop skills and the confidence to make their own choices for the future
Job Title: Director (maternity cover – fixed 12-month post from October 2019)
Post Salary: £33,361 Full time equivalent - £19,836 per annum
Working Hours: 22 hours per week (including some evenings and occasional weekend work) –
there is flexibility regarding number of days worked/working hours for the right candidate.
Responsible to: Kairos Board of Trustees
Responsible for: 2 x Senior Practitioners
Deadline: 9am Monday 29th July
Proposed interview dates: Week of 5th August (tbc)
Anticipated start date: 7th October (this includes one month of handover with Director before her maternity leave)
Purpose of role:
- To lead the organisation into sustainable growth
- To lead on obtaining and managing income
- To ensure the project is managed on time, within budget and to a high quality.
- To support the Board of Trustees to effectively manage the organisation’s legal and regulatory responsibilities
- To provide strategic leadership to the organisation, promoting the work of KairosWWT in line with our ethos.
This post is restricted to female applicants only under Section 9 of the Equality Act 2010.
An enhanced DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) disclosure will be required for this role.
Leadership and management
• To lead KairosWWT, providing strategic leadership and clear direction to all staff
• To agree with the Board of Trustees the organisational strategy and to ensure this is then delivered in accordance with KairosWWT priorities of supporting vulnerable women in Coventry
• Development and implementation of the KairosWWT Business Plan, with clearly defined operational, income, communications/media, financial management and governance plans.
• To ensure the project is delivered in line with organisation’s strategic aims, securing the resources required to develop projects and services outlined in the strategic plan
• To oversee the direction of KairosWWT services and work with staff to identify gaps, opportunities, challenges and trends
• To establish and maintain effective systems for reporting on activity and outputs, measuring outcomes and impact
• To monitor the quality of the service and ensure effective evaluation
• To keep abreast of all legislation and best practice relevant to the organisation and ensure it is implemented within the organisation at every level – especially but not limited to Health and Safety and Safeguarding. To act as Designated Safeguarding Lead and advise staff when required on safeguarding referrals.
• To develop and ensure adherence to all policies and procedures
• To represent KairosWWT at a local and national level, fostering important partnerships and strategic alliances
• To lead on the ensuring that KairosWWT services, needs and impact are publicised, celebrated and communicated widely using appropriate media and communication channels
Fundraising and Finance
• To secure the long-term viability of the project by delivering a diverse and sustainable income strategy to secure funding for key service areas, as well as for service development as appropriate
• To manage the overall operations of the organisation ensuring finances and resources align to meet strategic priorities within identified risk boundaries
• To ensure that all budgets are maintained and managed in collaboration with the Treasurer
• To oversee day-to-day KairosWWT financial procedures, including liaising with payroll
• To monitor and evaluate the project in accordance with funder requirements.
• To report on the project’s impact and progress to the board, funders and public as required and appropriate.
Strategy and Governance
• To ensure the organisation meets its legal and administrative duties particularly in relation to HR and financial management.
• To support the Board of Trustees in its development as a robust caretaker of the organisation.
• To lead the KairosWWT team and provide direct line manage the Senior Practitioners
• To direct policy development and long-term strategic planning
• To regularly review and evaluate the project by providing monthly reports, financial and monitoring information for the Board of Trustees.
• To identify, monitor and manage associated financial, operational, strategic risks to the organisation, using Kairos’ risk management strategy and matrix, and to report these risks to the Trustees on an agreed timescale
• To perform any other duties reasonably required within the job scope and its grading
• To engage in regular external mentoring and to undertake relevant training.
• To attend meetings, relevant training events and conferences.
• To work flexibly, including occasional evenings or weekends
• To offer a service underpinned by a very high threshold of professional confidentiality
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant subject
- At least Level 2 Safeguarding or willingness to work towards prior to employment
- Project Management
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE
- Leadership at a senior level, preferably in a third sector organisation
- Managing and motivating teams of people, within a change environment
- Designing and directing the delivery of projects
- Fundraising: producing and delivering diversified income plans
- Strong track record in writing successful funding bids to UK trusts and foundations
- Experience of networking, representation and negotiation
- Monitoring, reviewing and evaluating the service provided
- Experience of working in a not-for-profit environment
- Financial planning; budgetary forecasting and reporting
- Able to work under pressure and remain calm, supportive and positive
- Managing partnerships and working in collaborative approaches and projects.
- Highly effective communication style both written and verbal
- An understanding of relevant legislation (e.g. data protection, safeguarding, health and safety and confidentiality)
- Writing of H&S risk assessments and implementation of control measures
- Safeguarding vulnerable adults, children and young people
- Supporting and developing a Board of Trustees
- Leading strategic and business planning and long-term organisational development
- Of working with vulnerable women and their families
- Developing and implementing a communications and media strategy to support sustainability
- Demonstrates a belief in the value and dignity of our service users and all women
- Aptitude for strategic planning and ability to translate that into actions.
- Ability to deal with and work with ambiguity
- Commitment to the highest standards of professionalism within the sector and KairosWWT values
- Capacity for empathy
- Willingness to work unsocial hours
- Unrestricted right to work in the UK
- Full driving licence
- Full-time access to a vehicle during working hours
How to apply
Send the following three items attached by email:
• A copy of your CV (you do not need to list references as this is part of the Applicant Information form)
• A covering letter totalling no more than two sides of A4
• A completed Applicant information form – available at
Send your application to Rosie Hart (current Director) at
If you would like an informal conversation with the current Director before submitting an application, please email to arrange a suitable time to speak.