Finance & Operations Assistant
Four Day Weeks
House of Illustration
House of Illustration
We are the UK’s only public gallery dedicated to illustration and graphic art. Founded by Sir Quentin Blake, House of Illustration opened in July 2014 in King’s Cross, London. Over the five years since then House of Illustration has developed its position as a significant cultural force, representing and championing the very best of an art form that is rarely explored by other museums and galleries. This is your opportunity to join a unique cultural institution at an exciting stage in its development.
We curate seven exhibitions a year across three gallery spaces, exploring contemporary and historic illustration and the work of both emerging and defining illustrators. We run a pioneering learning programme for schools, young people, families and adults, delivered by professional illustrators. We support emerging talent through a popular programme of masterclasses and short courses, and by commissioning new work, running a residency for illustrators, hosting illustration fairs, and running a Book Illustration Competition in partnership with The Folio Society. We put on talks and events with some of the world’s leading illustrators and run a successful retail operation.
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic, diligent and motivated individual to join us as Finance and Operations Assistant.This role supports a small and busy team and requires meticulous attention to detail and a flexible approach to working. It would ideally suit someone with experience of working in a finance support role who has strong numeracy and administration skills.
The post holder will report to the Head of Finance and work closely with the HR and Office Manager and all other departments.They will be able to efficiently administrate all finance procedures including processing purchase invoices, supporting the weekly payment run and annual financial audit. They will also provide support for other departments in particular Retail and Development.
An ideal candidate will have excellent Excel skills, experience of using double-entry accounting systems and the ability to identify opportunities for system improvements. They will be comfortable working in a small and busy open plan office, with the ability to plan and prioritise to meet multiple deadlines and support different departments.
- Process purchase invoices including review for accuracy, coding and authorisation
- Reconcile supplier accounts
- Process staff expenses including review for accuracy and authorisation
- Support weekly payment run
- Create and send customer invoices and follow up with debtors
- Complete monthly bank reconciliations for Charity and Trading bank accounts
- Perform monthly reconciliations of the Charity prepaid debit card statements
- Reconcile Paypal account on a monthly basis
- Support the annual financial audit process
- Administrate House of Illustration’s Friend’s Scheme
- Hard copy and electronic finance filing
- Suggest changes or improvements to systems to increase accuracy, efficiency, and cost reductions
- Assist the team with any finance related queries
- Administer stock adjustments on point of sale system
- Update and maintain stock system and archive old stock, reconcile with purchase invoices and financial accounting system on a quarterly basis
- Coordinate bi-annual stock take process
HR & operations:
- Provide administration support for House of Illustration’s recruitment and selection processes
- Order general office supplies as and when needed
- Undertake other office and building management related admin duties as required
- Support the Office Manger in organising House of Illustration staff social events
Person Specification criteria:
- Demonstrable experience of working in a financial administration role in a comparable organisation or charity setting
- Competence in the use of double entry accounting software (preferably QuickBooks or similar)
- An understanding of financial and accounting procedures
- Knowledge and experience of procurement processes
- Competence in the use of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Outlook and good knowledge of Excel
- Competence in electronic and paper-based filing
- Ability to plan and prioritise, work quickly and accurately to tight deadlines and manage multiple tasks
- Proactive and flexible approach to work, with the ability to adapt to changing deadlines and priorities
- Ability to remain calm and practical whilst working under pressure
- Ability to develop and maintain systems for finance related procedures
- Excellent numeracy,verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proven ability to research issues and problem-solve
- A passion for being efficient and resourceful
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equality of opportunity for all
- Genuine interest in and passion for arts, culture and supportive of House of Illustration’s aims
- Working towards or completed training for a recognised UK accountancy or bookkeeping qualification
- Understanding of retail operations and stock management procedures
This post will report to the Head of Finance.
This is a temporary contract for 6 months in the first instance (with a view to being extended).
The job will be based at 2 Granary square, King’s Cross, London N1C 4BH.
£22,000 per annum pro rata
30 hours per week. Working hours are 7.5 hours per day (lunch breaks are unpaid)
Core office hours are between 9.00am –6.00pm
- Annual holiday entitlement of 25 days per annum plus public holidays (pro-rata for part-time posts) and office closure days between Christmas and New Year.
- An extra day annual leave per year after 5 years service, up to a maximum entitlement of 30 days per annum.
- Pension scheme with employer contribution
- 25% discount on shop merchandise
- Complimentary entry to exhibitions and an allowance for friends and family
- Reduced price membership to Better Leisure Centres
How to Apply
To apply please send the following to with the email subject: Finance and Operations Assistant.
- A completed Application Form (saved in Word or PDF format) which you can find via the apply button below.
- A Monitoring Form which will not be seen by the shortlisters or interviewers. (saved in Word or PDF format)
Deadline for applications is at midnight on 9 February.
Interviews will be held 21 February
We shortlist candidates for interview name-blind.We will be offering guaranteed interviews for disabled* applicants and those from BAME backgrounds who meet the essential criteria on this job description. Please indicate on your Monitoring Form whether you agree to a guaranteed interview on this basis.
*Definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010: you’re disabled if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.
If you have any questions about this role please email