Four Day Weeks
Prostate Cancer UK
Salary: £24,000 per annum full-time equivalent, prorated
Contract: Part Time, Permanent
Location: Central London
Report to: Finance Manager
Hours: part-time, 30 hours per week over 4 days (there is flexibility on which days are preferred)
What the job involves
We are looking for an enthusiastic Finance Assistant with a can-do attitude to administer and process the transactional processing activities within the charity and its subsidiaries. The job involves administration of the procure to pay process, banking and providing excellent customer service, to our internal and external customers. You will perform general credit control duties, reconciliations, training of staff volunteers and assist with supplier payment runs and general income postings. You will be the first point of contact and interact with all departments of the organisation, from Fundraising to Digital Marketing, this will give you great exposure of the charity on a whole.
What we want from you
An experienced Finance Assistant, with strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to use their own initiative to make day-to-day decisions and adhere to the financial guidelines set by the charity. A team player, who has an eye for detail and an understanding of the importance of sound financial controls embedded in the transactional processing activities within Finance.
Why work for us?
We have a simple ambition – to stop men dying from prostate cancer. Through shifting the science over the next 10 years to focus on radical improvements in diagnosis, treatment, prevention and support, we can make prostate cancer a disease the next generation of men need not fear. Be part of a team that will put an end to prostate cancer being a killer.
The support we’ll provide
Join our team and you’ll be working at an award-winning charity that will help you learn, develop your skills and expertise, and achieve your highest aspirations. We provide everything you’d expect from a professional organisation – competitive benefits package, contributory pension scheme, life insurance and a season ticket loan – but much more besides. Work with us and you’ll see your efforts pay off as we fight for a better future for men.
You will process and oversee the accuracy of the day-to-day transactional data entered in the sub ledgers, of the finance system. Supporting the Finance Manager in the provision of an effective and efficient accounting service for the Charity and its subsidiaries. As well as coordinate and administers the procure to pay process, daily banking income processes and resolve genera accounting queries from our internal and external customers.
What I do
• Administer and process all financial transactions, entered in the purchase and sales ledger (sub ledgers), within the finance system - Access
• Be the first point of contact to resolve accounting queries from internal teams, external suppliers and customers
• Monitor and manage the aged debtor and aged creditor reports to minimise the time taken to fulfil the liabilities owned by and due to the charity.
• Perform general credit control duties and refer more complex issues to the Finance Coordinator
• Undertake general reconciliations to include, supplier statement and petty cash reconciliations.
• Assist with the preparation of the sales and purchase ledger control account reconciliations
• Assist the Finance Manager with the payment of suppliers
• Provide training to new starters on the use of the PO system (Focal Point)
• Provide training and supervision to the finance volunteers
• Liaise with the auditors on income and expenditure queries, within your area of responsibility
• Extract, manipulate, reconcile and upload income data from Raisers Edge and upload the data into the finance system
• Support the Finance Coordinator as and when required with other income posting activities, in time of absence
• Support Budget Holders in the use of the finance system, resolving problems and escalating to the Finance Manager as appropriate
• Take on other duties in line with responsibilities and assist with the development of efficient processes for all activities undertaken, with a focus of continuous improvement
Who I am
I have the essentials covered:
• Have basic double entry accounting knowledge, with experience of processing purchase and sales invoices, and purchase order matching
• Understanding of general ledger accounting and control account reconciliations
• Have an awareness of basic VAT requirements
• Have a good understanding of the financial controls used to manage the transactional processes within finance
• Numerate, with an eye for detail
• Have excellent customer service skills
• Experience of working supportively in a team environment
• Able to prioritise and organise own workload to ensure it is completed within the time frames given
• Experienced in using accounting software packages and proficient with Microsoft Office tools, such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Able to work with and support volunteers
• Able to use own initiative to make day-to-day decisions and know when to escalate matters upwards
• Can work well within a team
I may also have:
• Knowledge of Charity VAT treatment and rules
• Knowledge of donor-based information systems
• Intermediate Excel skills
• Educated to entry level accounting such as AAT or degree in Accounting or Business
How I Work
Demonstrating our work principles
We work flexibly to mobilise the right combination of skills and expertise to meet central goals and to be responsive to emerging developments and evidence.
Direct & Conversational
• State your case – but drop the jargon
• Speak to the person you need to
• Invite dialogue
Bold & Energetic
• Go and see – know how men with prostate cancer feel
• Challenge the status quo
• Be tenacious and stay focused
• Drive knowledge development and continuous improvement
Responsive & Supportive
• Understand the needs of the frontline teams
• Know what’s important
• Champion cross function teamwork – break down barriers
• Be open to alternative views, ideas and options
Honest & Unembarrassed
• Be confident to state your case
• Know when to refer/take advice
• Have the difficult conversations
• Celebrate successes
Flexible & Collaborative
• Partner with others for greater success, share what you know
• Work autonomously to achieve collective and agreed aims
• Hold plans loosely – flex with change
• Travel to where your skills are needed
About my role
The Financial Accounting and Governance team are the technical accounting experts responsible for the accuracy of the financial ledgers and the production of the Charity and its subsidiary statutory annual accounts. We ensure the Charity fulfils its legal and regulatory obligations.
As the Finance Assistant, I am accountable for the accuracy of all transactional data entered in the finance system, sub ledgers, I
- Monitor and control the purchase order system (Focal Point), ensuring POs have been authorised in line with the charity policies. I monitor bottlenecks in the process to ensure the charity meets its statutory obligations to pay suppliers within their agreed terms of contract.
- Process invoices related to sales and purchases made by the charity and its subsidiaries
- Monitor and control the flow of cash transactions coming in and going out of the charity, ensuring the proper financial controls has been applied, cash is recorded correctly and banked in a timely manner.
- Review and administer expense receipts, voucher income and credit card statements, ensuring the financial details are accurate and the supporting information meets accounting standards. Referring any deviation back to the end users for resubmission.
- Create and maintain, suppliers and customer accounts, ensuring they are setup in accordance with accounting guidelines and contractual agreements. Raise queries with the Business Support team, if necessary.
- Use Import utilities journal templates to bulk upload invoices and payments into the finance system. To include the upload of the Charity Direct Debits (DDs) payments and manually post Bankline payments and cheques in the finance system.
- Administer and reconcile the Daily banking income spreadsheet, to ensure to data entered in Raisers Edge (RE) aligns with the income banked. To include, cash and cheques, credit card and voucher payments
I use my accounting knowledge to educate users on the accounting procedures and policies, used to support the smooth running of the Finance department. I provide great customer service for internal and external customers, face to face, in writing or over the telephone. I can communicate assertively to ensure end users are adhering to the financial procedures and policies set by the Charity.
I can use Excel to sort, manipulate and present routine data or information for analysis. Using standard functions such as V-lookups and pivot tables. I have a good working understanding of accounting systems. I can search and extract the relevant information to aid understanding and decision making.
I use my initiative to challenge and suggest improvements to own work area or related work areas, which may involve interpretation of supplier or customer requirements. I can work flexibly and responsively, supporting several projects or work areas and responding to urgent queries, at month and year end, and in time of absences. I actively role model our Working Principles while supporting the charity to deliver the business plan and to achieve its strategic aims.
Everyone at Prostate Cancer UK is working together to tame prostate cancer within ten years.
We are focused on four big changes to achieve this ambition:
1. Better Diagnosis
2. Better Treatments
3. Better Prevention
4. Better Support
To help deliver these, the Financial Accounting and Governance team focuses on legal and regulatory compliance. We focus on the provision of complete, accurate and timely financial information. We have a focus on continuous improvement and can only achieve this working together with our colleagues within Finance and across the organisation.
We operate in full collaboration with each other and with all other programmes and functions across the organisation and work to ensure that we have a flow of information and knowledge both into back from the programmes, to support achievement of the objectives of the charity’s strategy and business plan.
For more information and to apply online, go to
Got a question? We’re here to help
Closing date: Midnight, 12th December 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so please do apply asap if you're interested in the role as we may close the role earlier than indicated.
Interview date: Interviews will be held on a rolling basis.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
To apply for this role please press the apply button below