10 – 20k GBP
East of England
Four Day Weeks
Full Time/Part Time: 4 days per week
Line Manager: Head of Finance
Start Date: 27 January 2020 for maternity cover of up to one year
Salary: £17,308 per annum (pro rata to a full time salary of £21,635)
The College has one Finance Assistant role and one qualified book-keeper role, who assist the Head of Finance to maintain proper financial and accounting records for the college and the trading company - the wholly owned subsidiary.
The Finance Assistant is going on maternity leave in February. This post is for 30 hours per week from 27 January and would suit someone with some finance department experience and who also may be doing accountancy training, as is the incumbent. This is a temporary role for up to one year at a salary of £17,308 (pro rata to a full time salary of £21,635).
The posts of Finance Assistant and Book-Keeper cover for one another and undertake all the day to day book-keeping of the college and trading company. The responsibilities are divided according to skills and experience.
To thrive in this role, the post holder will enjoy working with numbers, have a great eye for detail and a naturally high level of accuracy in their work. There is interaction between this role and staff and students, so being a team player with good interpersonal skills will be important. The successful applicant is likely to have some accountancy or book-keeping qualification or be working towards one. Good Excel skills will be needed and payroll experience is desirable. Experience of working in a charity would be helpful as would skills in a computer-based accounting system
1. To process payments to suppliers, maintain the purchase ledgers and process payments
2. To record all incoming receipts
3. To calculate and post termly fees and other charges and provide students with regular statements
4. To chase debts and meet with students as necessary regarding payment of their fees
5. To issue invoices to conferences and other guests
6. To maintain all records required for Gift Aid purposes, including a register of declarations, and to prepare regular Gift Aid claims
7. To supervise the petty cash floats, to post all receipts and payments and perform a monthly reconciliation
8. To perform the weekly bank account reconciliations
9. To manage the cash flow between bank accounts
10. To bank receipts at Barclays in Ware as required
11. To manage and regularly reconcile inter-company transactions and do the re-charges to Trading.
12. To manage and record transactions relating to the PayPal account
13. To manage and record card machine payments and payments made via EPDQ
14. To daily maintain the filing system, both emails and paperwork
15. To assist with year-end accounts
16. To manage the weekly wages and monthly salaries and workplace pension scheme
17. To fully participate in All Nations community activities
No job description can be entirely comprehensive. The post holder will be expected to carry out such other duties as may be required from time to time and are broadly consistent with the job description.
The post holder is part of a small team providing services to over 100 students and around 35 staff.
The post holder is expected to be able to work flexibly and using their own initiative. It is a general requirement that all the college’s staff be in sympathy with and understand the Christian aims and objectives of the college.
Qualifications & Skills
- A book-keeping or accounting qualification
- Good Microsoft Excel skills
- An excellent aptitude for dealing with numbers
- High level of attention to detail
- Payroll experience
- Experience of Microsoft Word templates
- A current and clean driving licence
-Experience in a similar role
- Bookkeeping experience
- Experience of a computer-based accounting system
- Experience of working in a charity
- Experience of SAGE
Aptitude and Values
- A resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be effective independently
- A proactive problem-solver
- Calm under pressure
- A desire to learn and share learning
- A ‘servant heart’
- Diplomatic with the ability to manage the expectations of others
- Works with grace and a sense of humour
- A heart for Christian cross-cultural mission
Located at Easneye, Hertfordshire, UK.
Hours of work: 8.40am - 5.10pm (actual hours to be agreed). The role will be part time and based at college.
Holiday: 30 days per annum (pro rata) plus 6 of the 8 bank when they fall on a normal working day.
Closing date: 6th January, 2020
Interviews: 13th or 20th January, 2020
Please send your CV and a completed application form (which you can find via the apply button below) to [email protected]
Alternatively please email HR to send you an application form in Word format.
If you would like more information you can contact Shelagh Windsor-Richards, HR Manager, at the HR email address (above).