Fundraising & Marketing Assistant
10 – 20k GBP
Four Day Weeks
International Tree Foundation
FUNDRAISING AND MARKETING ASSISTANT
Hours: 28 hours per week
Salary: £19,289- £20,361 per annum pro rata (£15,431- £16,289 actual)
Probationary period: 6 months
Holidays: 20 days per annum plus statutory holidays and 3 days over Christmas period
Pension: Contributory pension scheme with life cover
Benefits: Staff training package, weekly ‘Well-being hour’ (pro rata), flexible working, cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers.
Are you a talented fundraiser who can build productive relationships with donors and supporters?
Do you have a passion for environmental issues and an appreciation of the importance of trees in sustaining life and human well-being?
Are you an effective planner and organiser with a determination to succeed?
If your answer is ‘Yes’ to all these questions then this could be the role for you.
International Tree Foundation (ITF) is a charitable company that runs tree planting and education programmes in the UK and Africa. ITF supports community-led initiatives that protect, plant and promote trees and forests in order to preserve biodiversity and habitats, reverse deforestation, improve livelihoods and tackle climate change. There is tremendous scope to grow our projects and programmes and to increase awareness of and support for ITF’s work.
The Fundraising and Marketing Assistant is responsible for supporting the successful implementation of ITF’s fundraising strategies and plans, ensuring that all activities are executed on time and income targets are achieved.
Key duties include:
- Co-ordinating ITF’s individual giving activities, including appeals, legacy giving and crowd funding.
- Growing subscriptions to our direct debit giving scheme.
- Fundraising for our 20 Million Trees for Kenya’s Forests centenary campaign.
This is a part-time position for 28 hours per week based at our offices in Oxford. The starting salary offered is £19,289- £20,361 per annum pro rata (£15,431- £16,289 actual) depending on experience.
Background information about International Tree Foundation
International Tree Foundation (ITF) was originally founded in the UK in 1924 as Men of the Trees and has promoted and funded sustainable community forestry projects in the UK and internationally for 90 years and has been responsible for the establishment of hundreds of millions of trees. Our vision is a world where trees and forests flourish and where their vital role in supporting life on Earth is fully realised and valued.
ITF is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. ITF’s mission is to protect, plant, cultivate and promote trees in partnership with local communities in ways which support the:
- conservation of trees, forests, associated biodiversity and indigenous knowledge about the wise and sustainable use of trees, plants, soils, water and other natural resources;
- advocacy and promotion of public awareness of both local and global environmental and socio economic issues created by deforestation and unsustainable agriculture and the potential of trees to rehabilitate degraded land, generate livelihood benefits and combat climate change;
- building of the capacity of local communities to increase their resilience to environmental degradation and climate shocks through supporting the establishment of community-led natural resource management strategies;
- improvement of livelihoods in rural communities through the sustainable use of forests and forest products, especially through the cultivation and use of traditional foods and medicines to improve food security, nutrition and health;
- adoption of agro-ecology and agroforestry practices to develop sustainable agricultural systems that generate income, create jobs and business opportunities;
- development of socially and environmentally desirable local governance and community bylaws which meet the needs and aspirations of local communities, while contributing to the formulation of more effective national and regional policies.
Job Description and Person Specification
The Fundraising and Marketing Assistant will be responsible for:
(i) Working as an integral part of the ITF fundraising and marketing team to assist in the successful implementation of ITF’s fundraising strategies to meet income targets;
(ii) Working closely with the Communications and Marketing Officer to increase awareness of the ITF brand and individual donations through social media and other targeted campaigns
(iii) Ensuring that ITF builds and sustains informative, transparent and mutually rewarding relationships with our donors and funders;
(iv) Engaging individuals in ITF’s mission and vision;
(v) Contributing to monitoring, evaluation and learning in relation to fundraising activities.
This position reports to the Fundraising Officer
Occasional supervision of fundraising volunteers
- Individual giving
- Member and donor relationships
- Marketing, promotional and supporter events
- Support to grant and corporate fundraising
1. Fundraising and income generation
- Work closely with the Communications and Marketing Officer to co-ordinate ITF’s individual giving activities, including sponsored events, appeals, high net worth donors, legacy giving and crowd funding
- Develop ideas for new income generation activities
- Grow subscriptions to our direct debit giving scheme
- Strive to achieve or exceed annual income targets
- Support the fundraising and marketing team in other tasks as required (such as grants application, corporate fundraising and staff engagement)
- Support the Finance and Facilities Manager with Gift Aid claims, supporter payments and general office duties as required
2. Supporter Engagement
- Be the first point of contact for enquiries from individuals and supporters, ensuring excellent, engaging customer service
- Mobilise members, donors and supporters to participate and contribute to fundraising activities, including sponsored events and challenges
- Develop community fundraising from groups and individuals (e.g. through sponsored marathons, church/club fundraisers, school fundraisers)
- Ensure timely and individualised thanking for all donations and support from individuals
- Support the management of the ITF CRM database, in compliance with data protection laws
- Attend and organise events to raise ITF’s profile and recruit new donors
3. Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Contribute to effective monitoring of ITF fundraising activities
- Contribute to the exchange and sharing of learning with relevant external stakeholders and partners
4. Other duties
- Participate and contribute to staff team meetings and activities
- Supervise fundraising volunteers as and when required
- Undertake other responsibilities not outlined above which are commensurate with a role of this nature and which have been discussed and agreed with the line manager
All ITF staff are expected to contribute towards developing a supportive working environment, and demonstrate a commitment to professionalism and respect, transparency and accountability and uphold quality standards as outlined in policies and procedures, and in compliance with ITF’s Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policies.
Knowledge and experience
- At least one year’s relevant fundraising or marketing experience (highly desirable).
- A successful track record of generating income in excess of £20,000 per year from a variety of sources (highly desirable).
- Experience of engaging people through social media campaigns (highly desirable).
- Experience of cultivating and managing successful donor relationships (desirable).
- Experience of events management (desirable).
- Experience in updating websites, managing social media platforms and writing engaging newsletters, using Wordpress and Mailchimp (desirable).
- Design and picture editing skills (desirable).
- Empathy with ITF’s strategic objectives and appreciation of the role that trees can play in maintaining a healthy environment and in contributing to peoples’ well-being and quality of life (essential).
Skills and abilities
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and relationship-building skills (essential).
- A ‘can-do’ attitude, and ability to think outside the box (essential).
- Confident, friendly and engaging communicator (essential).
- Proven ability to write compelling and concise fundraising materials for prospective donors (essential).
- Effective planning and organising skills in order to meet tight deadlines (essential).
- A responsible and flexible team player (essential).
- Able and willing to attend occasional events outside of normal hours if required (essential).
A Degree level qualification or equivalent professional qualification in marketing or fundraising (highly desirable).
To read the full job description please follow this link -
To apply for this role please send the following via the apply button below:
- Your CV (max 3 pages)
- A covering letter (max 3 pages) explaining why you believe your skills and experience make you suitable for the position and specifically how you meet each of the requirements in the person specification.