20 – 30k GBP
Four Day Weeks
Step Together Volunteering
Job title: Fundraising Officer
Period of Contract: Initial 12 month FTC, extendable depending on funding
Working hours: 4-5 days per week (28-35 hours per week)
Based: Based in Step Together Volunteering’s head office in Bristol
Salary: £25,000-£30,000 (pro rata if part time) dependent on experience.
Job purpose: To generate income from a variety of sources to support the charity’s work. Maximise income for the charity’s programmes, delivering improved sustainability to enable us to support people across the UK. Undertake effective stewardship of funders/supporters through timely reporting and communications.
At Step Together Volunteering, we believe that every person has the potential and the right to effect positive change for themselves and their communities, regardless of their background or history; and that communicates are stronger and more resilient when they are inclusive.
We support some of the UK’s most marginalised people, whose complex needs put them at significant risk of the detrimental effects of social exclusion, to help them overcome the barriers they face.
We use a blend of intensive 1-1 mentoring support and individually tailored community volunteering placements to support socially excluded groups to reconnect with society, to improve mental and physical wellbeing, and to support improved transition to education, training and employment.
Working through a team of caseworkers across England and Scotland we provide tailored one-to-one support to help individuals into volunteering placements that match their needs and interests, and help them develop the personal and practical skills required to build a more positive future. Our beneficiaries are people who face significant challenges as a result of: critical injury and trauma; leaving the criminal justice system; drug and alcohol misuse; long-term unemployment; mental ill health; leaving care; homelessness; isolation and disengagement with society.
We are seeking a highly motivated and passionate individual to join our team to develop income from a variety of sources (trusts and grants, statutory, corporate foundations, local businesses etc.).
Working closely with the CEO, you will be responsible for identifying suitable funding sources to apply for and preparing funding applications to a high standard in a timely way. You should be able to work on your own initiative and take a flexible approach so that deadlines are met. You will need to be organised and efficient, and enjoy working as part of a small, dedicated central team.
The charity has a strong track record of securing funds from a wide range of funders, and we are looking to build on this to enable us to grow and support more vulnerable people.
The role is based in our Bristol head office, with some flexibility around occasional home-working.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone with the right skills and commitment to make a significant impact in a small charity which is making a real difference to vulnerable and marginalised people’s lives across the UK.
1. Work to generate unrestricted and restricted funds for Step Together’s programmes from a variety sources at a local and national level, towards an agreed income target.
2. Research potential sources of income in the UK which might fund Step Together’s work.
3. Submit high quality, well researched and well targeted proposals and applications that meet Step Together’s funding priorities.
4. Develop effective relationships with contacts and manage relationships with funders/partners, motivating and stewarding them to maximize income.
5. Monitor reporting requirements for funders and take responsibility for providing accurate and timely responses to their requests, ensuring that they are aware of project performance and receive regular updates.
6. Work effectively as a member of Step Together’s small central team to achieve targets and objectives.
7. Remain proactive in fundraising networking, keeping abreast of changes and new developments within the fundraising environment.
8. Represent Step Together at relevant and appropriate meetings, events and functions.
9. Ensure that the organisational databases and files are kept up-to-date with all funder information, and that this information is shared across the Step Together team.
10. Provide reports to the management team to enable tracking of pipeline proposals and potential income.
11. To carry out the duties and responsibilities of the post at all times in compliance with all of Step Together Volunteering’s policies and procedures.
12. To undertake other duties that may be designated from time to time by the management team to achieve the charity’s objectives.
This role will most likely be suitable to those with the following skills and experience:
Proven ability and competencies
- Excellent and compelling writing skills, an ability to produce written material of the highest quality.
- Confident communicator with the ability to foster good relationships both internally and externally
- Experience of researching and identifying new funding sources.
- Experience of compiling successful funding applications to a variety of funders.
- Experience and understanding of what it takes to build relationships with corporate donors.
- Donor stewardship.
Other skills and abilities
- An analytical and methodical approach with the ability to produce accurate work to a high professional standard.
- Knowledge and experience of working in the charity sector, demonstrating an understanding of the sector and the challenges it faces.
- Good organisational skills with the ability to manage a complex workload, prioritise competing demands, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well under pressure and take a flexible approach in order to meet deadlines.
- High level of IT skills especially in MS Office including ability to develop and maintain information systems and to share these with others
- Good interpersonal skills; strong team player who places emphasis on building open and supportive relations and working by example.
- Good judgement combined with creativity and a focus on delivering results.
- A passionate and committed interest in communicating with varied audiences to achieve a positive and active response.
- Excellent attention to detail to ensure consistently high standards of content and design in all outputs.
- Able to work under own initiative and unsupervised where necessary
- A desire to promote positive change and seek ongoing improvement in working practices
To apply, please complete an application form which you can find via the apply button below and send it to [email protected]
Closing date: Friday 27th December 2019 at 12 noon. Interviews to be held week commencing 6th January 2020.
Step Together is an equal opportunities employer.