Operations & Finance Manager
Four Day Weeks
Margaret Clitherow Trust
Job title: Operations and Finance Manager
Location: MCT office (currently Marlow; moving to Wargrave area).
Contract: 0.8 fte; permanent.
Hours Likely to be: Monday to Thursday, 9.00am to 6.00pm. Flexible and home working can be considered.
Salary: £30,000 p.a. (pro rata £37,500).
• Pension scheme
• Personal training budget
• Generous paid holiday: pro rata equiv. 35 days holiday plus 8 days national (bank) holiday
• Flexible working-hours and some working from home
• Potential to go full-time if desired
Background: The role
With a clear purpose to transform lives by serving marginalised communities, MCT is at an exciting stage in its development. Founded four years ago as a registered charity, and on the back of much success, we are now ready to expand our organisation.
As part of building capacity for our next stage of growth, we are seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the new post of Operations and Finance Manager. This is a fantastic opportunity for a strategic thinker with operational and financial acumen, who is looking to play a key role in building a relatively new organisation.
In our recruitment, we are looking for potential as much as experience.
The successful candidate will share our values and be highly motivated to make a difference through working in a challenging area of need. They will strive for excellence in all they do. They will be a first rate communicator, a sound decision maker, with an analytic mind and a talent for effectively managing multiple competing priorities. They will be adept at and enthused by both providing inspiring leadership as well as rolling up their sleeves to get involved in the day to day delivery of the operational and finance functions. They will be a team player, but equally happy when working autonomously, possessing a good sense of humour and well-rounded humility.
What is it like working at MCT?
MCT has a team of close-knit employees and volunteers. Everyone demonstrates an immense personal commitment to their work serving the marginalised. We are a relaxed team, with a big sense of humour, but also value drive, hard work and going the extra mile. We believe that our team is our greatest asset and we want to give them autonomy and challenge as well as support and training, with a real sense of continued learning that they can take forward in their careers. We celebrate potential as much as experience.
To lead our operations and finance functions, building and managing highly effective systems that propel MCT to achieve its objectives. You will report directly to the Chair of Trustees.
Key targets in developing the organisation in your first year will be:
1. Deepen and create relationships with partner service providers, other agencies and major funders.
2. Implement an improved system across the organisation for collecting and analysing Key Performance Indicator data on a rolling basis.
3. Implement a sessional pastoral timetable.
4. Raise at least £25,000 in new source funding to expand our programmes.
5. Increase training and support opportunities for team members.
Key current/future reports (Line Management responsibilities):
• Legal Referrals Coordinator
• Helpline staff
• Administrative and support staff
• Sessional staff
Plus liaison with partner providers, PAYE provider, accountant etc.
1. To act as one of two senior managers (the other is responsible for delivery of most of the Trust’s client programmes) who together will be responsible the leadership of the charity on a day to day basis.
2. To provide leadership that conveys vision, professionalism, commitment, high expectations and a sense of humour.
3. To lead our partnership relations with other organisations including other agencies, charities, partner service providers, major grant funders and those who we provide training for.
4. As needs may require, to apply for funding for, recruit and manage own PA, administrative and other support staff.
5. To meet with the Chair on a weekly basis.
6. To assist in the development and drafting of major documents, including the annual report and the annual development plan.
7. To understand and comply with MCT’s values, policies and procedures.
8. Any other reasonable request.
Financial planning and management:
1. Lead implementation of the Financial Management and Accounting Policy.
2. Collaboratively develop the annual budgets for the Trust, under the direction of the Trustees.
3. Ensure that banking, financial record keeping, budget reconciliation, cash reconciliation and bank reconciliation is completed in a timely and comprehensive manner.
4. Submit quarterly financial reports.
5. Oversee claims for Gift Aid and management of the charity’s online donation platform.
6. Liaise with the charity’s accountant to ensure timely completion of the charity’s annual accounts, its independent examination and, if required, its tax return.
1. To lead our fundraising effort through grant applications, seeking donations and cultivating key relationships.
2. As required, to commission and liaise with external fundraising support.
3. To monitor fundraising needs and progress towards such needs, including in relation to specific programmes.
4. To maintain relationships with funders, through general thank you letters/newsletters and, for major donors, via face to face meetings / presentations, events and written reports.
1. Implement and manage a new records system.
2. Implement and manage a new system to ensure that data on all areas of our work is collected seamlessly and submitted to the Trustees on a quarterly basis in line with Key Performance Indicators and other data requests.
3. Act as the Data Officer for the Trust, to ensure implementation of our Data Protection Policy.
4. Commission external IT support as required and oversee IT/telephone resources/contracts.
5. Ensure the central email account and the charity’s post are monitored daily by staff.
1. Develop a working culture that embodies our values in support of our vision.
2. Lead our HR function, including overseeing processes related to induction, training budgets, professional development and performance frameworks.
3. Manage staff pay and liaise with our PAYE provider.
4. Work with other leaders to recruit and induct new volunteers and sessional staff.
5. Support the Chair in the recruitment process for key management and client facing employees.
6. Work with other leaders to plan and action team training days and socials.
1. Oversee timetabling for the organisation including general sessional site visits (to ensure provision is delivered in line with intensity level targets), helpline cover, and staff meetings / supervision time.
Tier 1 Legal Referrals (client programme):
1. To Line Manage the Legal Referrals Coordinator.
2. To be the management level contact point between Tier 1 law firms who we refer clients to, holding them accountable for their service.
3. To be responsible for the quality and performance of this programme.
• Experience of working with organisation budgets, KPI’s and financial records.
• Strong communication skills, highly organised, and ability to work well under pressure.
• Shares our values of open mindedness, integrity, humility and a sense of humour.
• 3+ years leadership experience.
• 3+ years financial management experience and/or medium scale fundraising.
• Track record of driving change in an organisation.
• Track record of inter-organisation relationship management.
• Experience of Quality Assurance within an organisation.
• Experience of recruitment.
• Competence with IT, particularly MS Excel.
• General knowledge of third sector, including compliance matters.
To apply for this role please send your CV and cover letter to