Four Day Weeks
Royal Yachting Association
Salary: circa £20,000 per annum (full-time equivalent)
Permanent – Part-time (24/25 hours per week over 4/5 days)
Location: Hamble, Southampton
The RYA offers a range of benefits which include; a personal pension scheme, free life insurance and a total full-time equivalent annual leave package of 26 days (plus public holidays).
The RYA is seeking a Publishing Assistant to join the Publications Department on a part-time basis. We will consider applications for 24 hours over 4 days a week or 25 hours over 5 days a week.
The ideal candidate will excel at liaising with all relevant RYA departments and a wide range of partners, external suppliers, contractors and distributors on the production and sale of RYA publications. There is a particular focus on maintaining our online shops, supporting events, licensing and promotion. This is an exciting opportunity to join a small, friendly and accomplished publishing team.
To provide administrative support to the RYA Publications department and assist the Publications Manager in their duties. There is a particular focus on maintaining online shops, supporting events, promotion and licensing.
The RYA publishing list comprises of approximately 110 retail book titles (most of which are also digital) and produces up to 10 new titles or new editions each year. They are sold direct online, at shows and events, and through the UK and international marine and general book trade.
RYA Publications also licenses some of its content overseas and has 70 active licences in 19 countries.
The Publications department also creates and maintains a long list of restricted training materials such as training packs and certificates.
RYA eBooks are sold through the webshop and as in-app purchases through dedicated reader apps in the various App Stores including iTunes and Google Play. They have a growing range of Apple Books and Google Play Books with plans for other formats and routes to market including audiobooks.
RYA apps have approximately 100,000 users across 100 countries.
The Royal Yachting Association (RYA) is a membership organisation with over 100,000 members and is the national body for all forms of boating, including dinghy and yacht racing, motor and sail cruising, RIBs and sports boats, powerboat racing, windsurfing, canal and river boat cruising, and personal watercraft.
The RYA has a global training scheme which is delivered through RYA Recognised Training Centres (RTCs) in 58 countries.
RYA Publications publish content which supports and complements RYA Training courses and other RYA Member interests and is one of the key self-generating income streams for the RYA.
The eBooks in the reader apps are also used to help RYA Training Centres offer ePacks as a digital option for some training material.
The Publishing Assistant liaises with all relevant RYA departments and a wide range of partners, external suppliers, contractors and distributors on the production, promotion and sale of RYA publications (print and digital) and licensed content.
• Provide administrative support to the department as required
• Monitor team inboxes and field incoming calls to distribute accordingly
• Maintain the retail webshop, the trade shop and the Publications area of the RYA website, including uploading new products, adding reviews and managing delivery dates in line with stock control
• Maintain team databases for item specs, descriptions etc.
• Set up records on the RYA’s Navision (stock control and financial) database for new suppliers and customers
• Ensure that royalties and copyright fees owed to or by the RYA are calculated and paid/invoiced out promptly
• Assign trade discounts to agreed parameters
• Act as the primary contact for the voucher scheme
• Assist with basic eBook and trade account support as required as part of the team’s back-up
• Plan and set up for events by creating discount codes, forms, organising stock and creating supporting materials
• Manage the till programming for products and prices prior to events
• Distribute review copies with accompanying letters to magazines, distribution trade and foreign publishers
• Liaise with other departments to promote publications
• Notify distributors when they can pre-order new publications
• Set up promotional codes and campaigns
Foreign Rights (Licensing)
• Support the Publications Manager in contractual and other matters
• Liaise with foreign publishers on fees, terms, payments etc.
• Update ‘That’s Rights’ database and record royalty payments
• Computer literate - Microsoft Office - Word, Excel and Outlook
• Ability and willingness to learn the RYA’s IT, website and database systems, and systems specific to the Publications department (training will be provided)
• Willingness to learn new software as the team evolves (i.e. new website platforms, podcasting etc.)
• Basic knowledge of Photoshop
• Basic website content editing
• Working knowledge of book production, including design, print and distribution
• Understanding of copyright and related issues
• Knowledge of watersports
• Accurate spelling and grammar
• Good attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal skills at all levels
• Ability to prioritise workload
• Ability to multi-task and to work under pressure to tight deadlines without sacrificing accuracy
• Problem solving skills, ability to use initiative
• Numeracy skills
• Good organisational skills
• Good customer service skills
• A good eye for presentation and design
• Experience of working in a busy office
• Experience in a customer service, sales or commercial environment
• Educated to at least A level or equivalent
• Commitment to getting the job done
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to self-teach relevant new skills
• Flexible and adaptable (including helping other members of the team in busy periods)
• An interest in books or technology
Please download & complete an application form . Completed application forms should be returned, along with an equality monitoring form, to [email protected] Please note: we do not accept CVs in lieu of a completed application form.
Closing date for applications: Mid-day on Friday 31 January 2020
Interviews to be held on: Monday 17 and/or Tuesday 18 February 2020