30 – 40k
Four Day Weeks
Learning and Work Institute
JOB DESCRIPTION – RESEARCH MANAGER
Location: Leicester or London
Team: Research and Development
Line Manager: Head of Research
Salary: £30,000 - £39,000 per annum, depending on experience and location
We are looking to recruit a research manager to join our growing team, with responsibility for managing and delivering high profile research and development work across learning, skills and employment.
You will bring strong research and project management skills, a track record of designing and delivering projects; experience of income generation and an interest in the policy and/or delivery context for learning skills and employment.
This is a key role within Learning & Work Institute’s research and development team, with responsibility for managing and delivering high-profile research and development work across learning, skills and employment.
The role involves the design and development of projects; managing budgets and resources; working
effectively with team members, partners, funders and other stakeholders; overseeing delivery of highquality research; and ensuring that our work makes an impact on policy and practice.
The ideal candidate will bring strong research skills, a track record of delivering projects and an
interest in the policy and/or delivery context for learning, skills and employment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Design, manage and deliver multiple R&D projects across learning, skills and employment. This includes liaising with funders, managing project teams, ensuring that work is delivered to time and quality expectations, and within budget.
• Proactively engage with colleagues across L&W to ensure that our policy, practice and promotion activity is underpinned by robust research evidence and achieves impact.
• Develop and implement appropriate research methodologies and methods, evaluation strategies and research tools.
• Lead on the production of high-quality research and policy reports.
• Represent L&W with key stakeholders – including national and local government, trusts and foundations, providers, and other research centres and think tanks.
• Support income generation, in collaboration with other L&W staff, including leading and contributing to research proposals.
• In collaboration with senior R&D staff, support the development and training of the wider team.
• Line manage researchers, as required.
• Contribute to L&W’s wider agenda of influencing policy, supporting better practice and promoting adult learning and full employment.
• Contribute to a positive, open and collaborative approach, operating in line with Learning and Work Institute’s core values and Staff Charter.
• Demonstrate a commitment to equality of opportunity.
• Travel and occasional overnight stays will be required.
Masters Degree (in a relevant subject), equivalent qualifications or evidence of equivalent research and analysis experience. (E)
- Well-developed skills in designing, managing and delivering a range of research and development projects including effective and efficient resource allocation. (E)
- Strong organisational and planning skills, that ensure work is effectively prioritised to meet deadlines. (E)
- Ability to develop and utilise appropriate quantitative or qualitative methods and tools to support high quality research and analysis. (E)
- Ability to work under own initiative with a proactive approach to problem solving. (E)
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to engage a range of audiences, stakeholders, funders and partners. (E)
- Proven skills in writing for and speaking to a range of audiences to ensure impact (E)
- Understanding and application of a range of research and evaluation methodologies and methods (E)
- Understanding of learning, skills and/or employment policy and/or practice across England and/or Wales. (D)
- Proven track record in delivering research projects to meet funders’ requirements, including to time and quality expectations, within budget. (E)
- Experience in developing research proposals and proven track record of securing funding. (E)
The successful candidate will have to undergo an enhanced DBS check.
Learning and Work Institute works in both England and Wales. Our work in Wales is led by a Cardiff based team, but all staff are required to follow the guidance set out in our Welsh language scheme when working in Wales.
Deadline to apply: 10.00am on Wednesday 8 January
Interviews will be held in London on Wednesday 15 January
To apply for this role please press the apply button below.