back-end engineer (python)
flexi time job
At Doist, our mission is to inspire the workplace of the future by creating simple yet powerful productivity tools that promote a calmer, more balanced, more fulfilling way to work and live.
We envision a future in which people can work without distractions from anywhere in the world on things that they are passionate about, and then unplug at the end of the day with the reassuring peace-of-mind that their tasks and teamwork are accounted for.
We are a multidisciplinary team that’s passionate about creating products, like Todoist and Twist, that improve people’s lives. We thrive on innovating new solutions to old productivity challenges and seek to change how productivity tools are made.
When you become a Doister, you’re not only joining a global, remote-first team, but a family of 62 people (and counting!) who value:
• Inclusivity, open-mindedness, and diversity
• Taking care of ourselves and each other
• Empowering people to live fulfilling lives
• Making long-term decisions, even if they’re harder
Our values aren’t just meant to paint a nice picture—they are the core of how we think, work, and interact.
We invite you to learn more about us, our values, and how we work at our Ambition & Balance blog.
We’re searching for an engineer who will join our back-end team. The ideal candidate is a solid Python developer with a deep understanding of Internet technologies, experience in designing APIs, a strong engineering intuition, and good communication skills. In this role you’ll help us improve Twist by adding useful, innovative features and you’ll work to make the service faster, more stable, and more convenient. It’s a challenging task since Twist is constantly evolving and challenging the status quo of communication within teams.
You’ll collaborate closely between Twist’s development teams, partner companies, and independent developers to turn Twist into a true communication hub.
As a back-end Python engineer you'll:
• Contribute code to multiple projects and initiatives that make our back-end better.
• Propose, design, develop, and deploy new features.
• Assume a role in planning the evolution of the Twist API, adding new features and optimizing the code.
• Be a responsible team member: do code reviews, mentor others, refactor code, share knowledge.
We're looking for someone with:
• 3+ years of professional experience developing for the web.
• Expert level knowledge of Python.
• A background in designing and refactoring large-scale systems.
• Experience with Git and GitHub.
• Fluency in written and spoken English.
• Proven ability to work autonomously and stay self-motivated, or previous experience working in remote teams.
Your work is worth a thousand words. Share links to projects that you’re proud of.
We’re bootstrapped, profitable, and committed to building a sustainable company that will grow for decades to come. We’ve built a benefits package that invests in our employee’s long-term personal and professional growth and well-being. Here’s a sample of what that includes:
• Work-Life balance. That means 8 hours of work, 5 days each week (for a total of 40 hours) because the time you spend outside of work is just as important as the time you spend working.
• Flexible schedule and location. This is a fully remote position, so you can work from wherever you please and on a schedule that works best for you. All you need is a computer and access to a stable internet connection (which we sponsor!).
• Generous paid vacation + national holidays. You’ll receive 5 weeks of paid time off + national holidays where you live.
• Paid parental leave. 18 weeks of paid maternity leave and 5 weeks of paid paternity/adoption leave.
• Education stipend. You’ll have a monthly budget to buy books, courses, and other resources you need to continue learning and developing.
• Healthy snacks. You’ll have a budget to spend on fruit, nuts, and any other healthy snacks you need to keep you energized throughout the day.
• Annual company retreats. Although we work remotely, we still enjoy bringing the whole team together to get to know each other, bond, and have face-to-face discussions in places like Spain (2015), Iceland (2016), Greece (2017), and Chile (2018).
• Amazing people. Being a part of the Doist team means you get to work with incredibly diverse, talented people who also enjoy having fun!
• And much more!
To apply for this role please press the apply button below. When applying for the job please make sure to mention fourdayweek.co.uk in the headline.